Did you know that February is Bake for Family Fun Month?
Bake for Family Fun Month is a celebration created by the Home Baking Association. The idea of this celebratory month is to encourage families to get together, spend time as a family in the kitchen baking and to have fun. Baking is an inexpensive activity that will teach all members of your family important practical skills for life. Mastering cooking techniques can be more than entertainment; it can reinforce math skills such as counting, measuring and separating, as well as improve hand-eye coordination.
This event is a fantastic opportunity for families to discover baking traditions, try out new recipes, create memories and explore the fun that baking activities have to offer. There are many activities that families can do together during Bake for Family Fun Month and these may be enjoyed by people from every generation.
Here is a fun recipe to try with your family, and it’s just in time for Valentine’s Day!
Pink Velvet Cupcakes
Serves: 28-30 mini cupcakes or 15 standard cupcakes
· 1¼ cup cake flour
· 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
· ½ teaspoon baking soda
· ½ teaspoon salt
· 1 small box white chocolate pudding, you can also use sugar free
· 2 eggs, room temp is best
· ¾ cup sugar
· 1½ teaspoons vanilla
· ½ cup oil
· ½ cup buttermilk
· 2-3 drops pink coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill pan with cupcake liners
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside
3. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, add sugar and continue beating for about 30 seconds
4. Add oil and vanilla and beat well
5. Gradually add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk, mix well
6. Add the pink coloring and mix well
7. Divide into cupcake liners
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of cupcake or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
9. Cool completely and then frost/decorate