Many aspects of maintaining your home in good condition can be done by the homeowner who enjoys do-it-yourself (DIY) projects. However, it is important that DIY chimney projects are done properly to prevent accidents or further damage. Remember that if you are not confident in doing your own work, you should hire someone that is an expert in chimney services. Here are some general chimney maintenance tips that any homeowner can follow and do themselves:
- Remove plants or mosses that grow on and in between the bricks. This will prevent moisture from being absorbed by the bricks.
- Check chimney flashing and bricks and mortar to make sure everything is intact. Look for missing or loose flashing. If mortar needs to be replaced, remove the cracked mortar and pack with weather resistant ready-mixed mortar.
- If your chimney crown has cracks, a quick fix would be to fill the cracks with cement patch or an easy-to-use flexible crown repair material.
- You can perform your own chimney waterproofing by purchasing a breathable waterproofing mixture and applying it to the chimney and crown. Remember that mortar should be in good condition before attempting this.
- Check your flue liner for damage. If it needs to be replaced, consider terra-cotta. Other material options include ceramics, metal and cast concrete. Consult a professional when replacing your flue liner.
- If you find stains in your firebox, use a metal brush and chemical cleaner to remove them.
- Look up your flue liner to determine whether there is creosote buildup. If you detect buildup, contact a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep to perform the chimney and fireplace cleaning or you can choose to do it yourself.
If you would like us to direct you to a reliable resource to help clean out your chimney, please give us a call at 806-763-7311 or chat with us on our website! www.shropshireinsurance.com