Carbon monoxide (CO) is considered the “silent killer” because it is impossible to see, taste or smell toxic fumes and it can kill you before you are aware it is in your home. At lower levels of exposures, CO causes mild effects that are olften mistake for the flu and higher levels are potentially fatal. To protect you and your loved ones, follow these prevention tips:
- Check your appliances to ensure that the flame color is blue. If it is orage, contact the fire department immediately.
- Have a professional do a safety inspection annually on all your appliances, chimney and grill to make sure they are in safe working order.
- Operate grills outside of your home and garage.
- Do not leave your car running in an attached garage even if the door is open.
- Never rely on ranges, ovens, gas grills or clothes dryers to heat your home.
- Have a professional inspect your fireplace flue annually and remove birds’ nest and foliage from the flue area. Also, install a guard to prevent birds from nesting around this area.
- Install a CO detector on every level of your home along with a smoke detector. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation and place away from furniture and curtains to get accurate detection results.
Not only does installing a carbon monoxide keep you safe, it can also potentially help you lower the premium on your homeowners insurance or business insurance. Call us 806-763-7311 to learn more information or for guidance on what carbon monoxide detector is the best fit for you.
As always, we can help save you money on your homeowners and auto insurance. Quote yourself online today: http://bit.ly/1zkLYgv