When it comes to tornadoes, there's no substitute for advanced planning. During peak tornado season, between March and May, storms that produce tornadoes can develop quickly, so it's important for you and your family to know exactly what to do before, during AND after a twister strikes.
Before a Tornado Strikes
1. Create a family tornado plan that includes where you will seek shelter when a tornado warning is given and where you will meet after the disaster in case you get separated
2. Gather items that can protect you such as mattresses, sleeping bags and thick blankets and place them near your shelter area
3.When the National Weather Service issues a tornado watch, go to your shelter area and check to see that everything you need for protection is there
4. Gather bottled water, non-perishable food items, flashlights and a battery-operated radio
5. Keep an ear to the radio or television and listen for storm status updates and stay alert for warnings
During a Tornado
1. Go to the basement or lowest level of your home, get under a sturdy structure, such as a table and then cover yourself with protective materials. if your home does not have a basement, go to a small, central space such as a bathroom, closet, or space under stairwell. Crouch down to the floor and face down and cover your head with your hands. Just like those drills you did growing up in the hallway at school!
2.If you live in a mobile home, leave your house and seek other shelter. if there is nowhere else to go, lie flat on the ground and cover your head with your hands.
Staying Safe After the Tornado Strikes
1. Stay with your loved ones until emergency personnel arrives
2. Stay away from power lines and puddles near fallen wires since they may still be carrying electricity
3. Watch your step for broken glass, nails and other sharp objects that may have flown around
4. Do not enter heavily damaged homes or buildings that could collapse at any time
In addition to insuring your home, ensuring your safety and preventing losses are also top concerns. If you would like more loss prevention or safety tips, please contact The Shropshire Agency today! 806-763-7311 www.shropshireinsurance.com